NEGATIVE TREATMENT BY THE DEPT OF MENTAL HEALTH 11-30-15

This is a letter to let people know how the Dept of Mental Health has failed dramatically in  services for myself and others who have physical disabilities, in addition to our emotional issues. 
The Dept of Mental Health  emphasizes treating people with emotional disabilities the same as anyone else.
I feel that The Dept of Mental health has not given me, a person with medical illnesses and physical disabilities, proper and appropriate care inpatient psychiatric care. 
( I use a wheelchair, require supplemental oxygen and live with other medical disabilities). 
Though not a geriatric patient, as well as not having the same problems as seniors in geriatric psychiatric units, I was hospitalized in the geriatric psychiatric unit, instead of the appropriate unit for my emotional problems. 
This has been because the age and problem oriented units for me were not equipped to handle my medical care..
The staff in these geriatric psychiatric units were mainly bathing changing and taking care of the physical needs of the majority of its' patients.  
There was very little psychiatric  or emotional care there. 
I asked myself many times, in these psychiatric units, "What am I here for? I am not getting the help I need or was promised!.
I needed  psychiatric care but, in this geriatric psychiatric unit, and in most geriatric psychiatric units, there is little to no psychiatric care or emotional support. 
There is a lot of psychiatric medications being given though.. 
For the most part, being an adult with physical disabilities with serious life threatening, medical illnesses, no inpatient psychiatric care would be better than what I've experienced.  
No inpatient psychiatric care would be better for me than to be placed in these geriatric psychiatric units.
For me, and others, living with chronic medical illnesses, no inpatient psychiatric care is much better than what is now available in these inpatient psychiatric units!
Mclean's is said the best psychiatric hospital in the country, 
There are, from my experience,  no accommodations at Mcleans  for  people with physical disabilities, as well as psychiatric disorders .
For a person who has both emotional and physical disabilities, 
I feel, The Dept of Mental Health has not only let me down but, has turned their back on me. 
Do any other people with physical disabilities as well as an emotional disability feel the same way? 
             Evelyn Pinto
             November 2, 2015
             November 30, 2015 (edited)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY SAD LOOKING CHRISTMAS TREE 12-10-2024

MEMORIAL DAY 5-30-16

The Medical Profession: Problems 5-6-2024