RESPECT AND DIGNITY FOR ME, AS THE PATIENT 5-30-15

                      RESPECT AND DIGNITY FOR ME, 
                                  AS THE PATIENT
Everyone has the need to be treated with dignity and respect. The places where it is needed the most, it's lacking the most.
This is, especially true of my many experiences of being in the hospital. (I have serious, life threatening medical conditions that require the acute care of the hospital more than I, or anyone would like).
Doctors, nurses and many other medical personnel have made my conditions better, have stabilized me,  and have even, on occasions, saved my life. 

I love life and I am very grateful to these amazing people. 
Many times, in my hospital career , as a patient,  they lack in giving me, as the patient, the respect and dignity, I, as a competent, intelligent adult have the right to.
I Want To Tell The People In The Medical Field This:

1) I'm not just a body, disease and/or patient. I'm a person, with just as much value and worth as people giving me care, or anyone. I am not naive or a child. I am a competent, capable adult in my right mind, who needs and deserves to be treated like the intelligent, competent, capale adult that I am.
Do NOT treat me like anything else, but this!
2) Common courtesy and the privacy rights of a patient are greatly lacking from my many hospital admissions.
     a) Please, whether you be a doctor, nurse, technician,, etc..,  ask BEFORE you examine me, touch me, my clothing, my 02 or my mobility device.
     b) Please tell me if there is any change in my medical condition(s) and people caring for me.
     c) Please tell me of any test/procedure before  it happens.
3) Need to Know is vitally important to me. To make the right decision(s) for me, I need to know all about my health conditions. Do NOT  decide for me. The right to know my medical issues, diagnosis, problems is   NOT request! It is a DEMAND!
4) Privacy in my healthcare is very, very important to me. People who do not need to know my medical record, medical information, history, problems, issues, diagnosis, should NOT have accesss to it.


If there is one thing that I could say to my doctors is to tell me, gently, honestly and openly all about my medical conditions. Talk with me about my diagnosis, symptoms, treatments, side effects, and how, in most cases, my illness will progress. Tell me this, so I will be prepared and will not be as scared when symptoms do happen. 

The truth is a lot less scary than if I guess or google my health conditions, symptoms, diagnosis, etc....
Making decisions for myself  (with your help, education and guidance of others) is important to me and gives me some control over my life.
Talking with me, about my health and my health conditions, is the best way to treat me.
                                               Thank you,
                                               Evelyn Pinto
                                               May 28, 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY SAD LOOKING CHRISTMAS TREE 12-10-2024

MEMORIAL DAY 5-30-16

The Medical Profession: Problems 5-6-2024